* The name ROOIPLAAS refers to the mother unit 1 Parachute Bn and 44 Brigade
* The slogan for 1 Parachute Battalion is Ex Alto Vincimus: We Conquer From Above
* 1 Parachute Battalion was established 01 April 1961.
* The first military jump in South Africa was on 04 August 1961
* The first 1 Para Bn ceremonial parade took place in Cape Town, 1962 with the opening of Parliament
* The First Regimental Sergeant Major of 1 Para Bn was SM PJ Grove, 1962
* Colonel Jan Breytenbach, the most highly decorated soldier in the SADF was born 14 July 1932. He was Officer Commanding of 44 Para Brigade from 24 September 1980 – 31 December 1982.
* 44 Parachute Brigade was established in 1976
* The Aapkas is named after Colonel W.P. Louw.
* Colin Deysel, a veteran paratrooper (now retired) was the official boxing coach in the para unit since the 1970’s and onward.
* On 13 May 1974, RSM Johnny Kieser made history to celebrate 1 Para Bn 100 000th jump
* 2Lt Johan Blaauw was the first recipient of the Honoris Crux Medal for bravery in the battalion on 17 December 1975
* Rondies was a tuck shop and cinema theatre for recreational purposes opposite 1 Para Bn
* FNLA Battalion – Bravo group from Angola became 32 Battalion (Buffalo Battalion)
* Com W.P. Louw was the first Commanding Officer of 1 Para Bn and his 2IB was Maj T.J. Renfree
* Colonel Archie Moore was Officer Commanding of 1 Para Bn, 1978
* Colonel Chris le Roux was the Officer Commanding of 1 Para Bn 1984
* Col Hans Moller was Commanding Officer from 1972 – October 1974
* General Constand Viljoen, previous Chief of the South African Army is a qualified paratrooper
* The current Commanding Officer (2015) at 44 Para Regiment is Col V.S. Mahlasela*